It’s no secret I’m a terrible blogger. However, when I do get an idea for a blog, I get so excited to write it I can hardly stand it. As Zack and I are quickly approaching marriage and starting our future as husband and wife, I have spent a lot of time self-reflecting. I have said since July 30th that this time of engagement has really brought light to a whole new side of me that I’ve never had to face before. I have already learned so much about myself through this time and I can’t wait to continue to be made new after I’m a wife.
The biggest, most ugly, horrible characteristic about me that has been brought out in full force through our engagement has been my selfishness. I have spent a few nights reading and re-reading Proverbs 31 to reflect on the kind of wife I want to be. This passage has a whole new meaning to me now that I see myself as being a wife in just a few short weeks!
There are a few highlights of the passage that I want to strive for:
11- “Her husband has full confidence in her…”- I pray that I can be a woman whom Zack has full confidence in everyday. I want Zack to know without a doubt that he can trust me and have confidence in my actions.
12- “She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life”- before engagement, this concept seemed so easily attainable. I can now see that I need to be mindful of bringing good in all aspects of life; not just a few times, when it’s easy for me.
17- “She sets about her work vigorously”- Normally men get all of the criticism for being passive or lazy, but I think this verse calls out for women to work hard too! I want to work hard for a Godly, good marriage, for a love that can’t be reviled, for a life pleasing to God, and for His will in our lives.
25(a)- “She is clothed in strength and dignity”- I want Zack and others to be able to describe me with these two words. I can only attain these attributes through Christ, so one of my biggest goals in my marriage is to characterized by this verse.
25(b)- “she can laugh at the days to come”- Goodness gracious I want to be more like this!! Right now, there’s no denying that I worry myself sick about the future. That’s not being like a Proverbs 31 woman at all! This verse says it clearly; we are to laugh at the future, not worry about it. I think if I can adopt this mindset, many of these other things that I’m striving for will fall into place.
26- “She speaks wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue”- I want my words to be meaningful. I don’t want to use words that hurt, that are wrong, that mislead, or take away from the Gospel. I want to speak wisdom and let my words encouraging, helpful, and wise.
30- “Charm is deceptive and beauty if fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised”- this is a well-known verse and many times it’s used alone, apart from the rest of the passage. I want this to be the summary of the attributes I’ve listed above, not a general guide. I want everything I’m striving for to culminate into this verse. I want to fear the Lord and be the best I can be for God and for my future husband.
As I am about to begin this new, exciting season of life, I pray that I can become more like the Proverbs 31 woman. I want to be the wife that Zack deserves and I think using this passage as a template for my character is a good way to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment